Saturday, January 14, 2017

Why to not work in a startup in Sweden (part 4)

This is part 4 of 4 on the positives and negatives on working in a startup in Sweden.  You might wish to read about part 1 first.

As mentioned previously the timeline leading to today have caused me to leave the Titanic.  Here I describe the actual exit interview "process" that I had.  It wasn't really much of a process.

Late last year I resigned from the Titanic.  At first I informed the CEO ("Weeny"), my first sentence to him was something like "This is going to be hard to say." and his immediate response was "You're resigning.".  He wasn't surprised in any manner, which made me seriously wonder how many other unannounced resignations will be taking place.  He also said that the entire team will have to be rebuilt which makes me wonder if "Pushkin" (also known as the pet Russian of the Macedonian dubbed "Mocka") in the company is also thinking about leaving.  I informed him that I wanted my last day to be in mid-February and he said it was fine and he would talk to the owner.


Secretly that's what everyone is thinking.

A few days later I got a chat message on Slack from the owner saying he wants to talk to me about me leaving, and of course I said sure since I do want to leave as soon as possible.  My original plan was to leave in mid-February (I had to give 3 months' notice so in theory I had to leave in March but I wanted to leave in Feb or earlier if possible).  Basically the exit interview went something like this.

Dizzy (the owner):  Why are you leaving?
Me: Other people are leaving, I don't like working with people who don't show up at work, and the team leader Mocka doesn't listen.
Dizzy: People leave all the time, it's a childish reason.  Who is not showing up at work and what's wrong with Mocka.  Did you tell this to Weeny? (The CEO)
Dizzy: Anders is leaving because... Shafiq we pushed out because he's not good enough (Yes this asshole actually said that).  Balsam and Lenin left for obvious reasons (to him).
Me: Those are my reasons....  And me explaining further why this place is a disaster.  And yes I have brought this up with Weeny.
Dizzy (in an angry tone): I promoted you and spent 120K SEK (roughly 13.5K USD**) on you with the recruiting company!
Me: Silence (I was thinking so I should stay in this hellhole and work with idiots for life?  Your promotion was title only with no salary increment you stingy bastard).
Dizzy: When do you want to leave?
Me: I told Weeny that I wanted to leave middle of February (Obviously this was not conveyed to Dizzy, how the hell this company functions I have no idea!).
Dizzy:  Okay but that is a bit strange, either you leave as soon as possible or stay 3 months to help on the new platform.
Me: I'll leave as soon as possible.
Dizzy: Okay send me a date.
Me: Sure.

Dizzy was pissed off as hell.  In my opinion he was a complete idiot and fool thinking he owned me in some way just because he paid the recruiting company a lot of money and gave me a title only "promotion".  Wow.  What a massive smelly butthole.  It further reinforced that my decision to leave is correct.

I gave him a date of 31st January but I wouldn't be in the office from the 24th onwards since I'll be on leave.


Goodbye!

As of today I have less than 6 working days before I leave this epic mess forever.  Mocka the "team lead" isn't talking to me anymore as well as his pet Russian "Pushkin".  Frankly who has time for these clowns?  They've been in the company for more than a year now and were happy to do absolutely nothing but leeching off the company's money prior to me coming.  This is how companies  die, by employing shitty employees.  Take note that this company is only surviving because the product owner, Fred, has his cousin and co-owner of the company "Fee-fee" has been continuously putting money into the company for years.  What can I say, a fool and his money are soon parted.

** One day after I resigned, I received an email from the recruiter asking for my date of resignation.  Turns out the cheap ass owner contacted him probably to ask some money back.

No comments:

Post a Comment