Sunday, December 18, 2016

Why work in a startup in Sweden (part 1)

Since my startup experience in Sweden is about to end, I thought I would list down the lessons learnt from joining one.  Why you should join one, if it interests you.  Personally I would never join a startup in Sweden ever again, likening it to the Titanic, but here's my take on the good points.  Afterall there is always good in something, even if it wasn't what you expected it to be.

Super flexible environment
This is a big plus for me, there are no real rigid hours.  Sure, there might be core hours, but even those can be bent.  This is Sweden afterall.  People in my office arrived late, and no one really cared or bothered.  Some would disappear during office hours, and no one really cared or bothered.


You get the point.

Young people
There are a lot of young people in startups.  Which is a good thing in my opinion.  Where I used to work previously I was one of the youngest.  Sometimes we need a fresh and young set of eyes.  The youngest person is 22 in the company and the oldest is an ancient 36.  So there's a 14 year gap but it's not that big of a gap.


Many of these around in startups.

Fancy titles given out like free candy
Ever wanted to be a vice president/CTO/CXX after graduating?  Join a startup, these are given out pretty much for free.  You almost don't even have to prove yourself, as long as you're willing to accept the responsibility.  And they might impress on your resume.  I say, might.


Look at all that candy!

Potential ownership
At my company employees had no option of company ownership, but you can fancy yourself being a minority shareholder if you joined one that offered ownership such as shares or options.  Of course the company might never float publicly, but in the off chance it does, you could mint a fortune.  You could get rich!  And if in the event that you do, don't forget where you read it first. :)


Like this guy.

Less bureaucracy
Want to get something done?  It's easier in a startup.  Almost no processes because, well they have probably never had a process like that previously.  This is a big plus for me in my opinion.  Bureaucracy is rampant in large organisations and especially the government.


Yes sir.

Sweden
You get to experience Sweden.  If you're not from here, well this could be a really good thing for you.  Potentially.  This isn't particularly related to startups, but there are many startups in Sweden so in the event that you dislike your current startup it is easy to simply hop off to another if the startup scene is your thing.


Stockholm, home of startups.

Read part 2 where I talk about events that happened at work and why you should not work in a startup.

No comments:

Post a Comment