Friday, January 17, 2020

AWS solution architect interview experience part 2

So the Amazon recruiter contacted me this morning and informed me of the news... I didn't pass the 3rd round of on-site interviews.  And you won't believe the reason why.


Tell me why ain't nothing but a heartache...

The reason being I lacked experience in facing the customer.  Yes, really, that was the reason for rejection.  I was fine technically, and guess what I actually built the solution for them in my presentation.  This reason is not what I expected, as nowhere does it reflect on my cv that I ever worked in customer-facing roles.  I'm mostly a technical person.  Was it a waste of time?  No, I still learned a lot on my own.  But still, this reason is ridiculous.  If they really wanted pre-sales they should have mentioned this early in the process.  I just got back from an interview at HP and it was a "Cloud architect" role.  So-called, but in reality, it was a pre-sales position. This is the same thing as a sales engineer.  You're not doing actual engineering so don't call yourself an engineer.  Apparently now pre-sales guys working on Cloud are cloud architects.  Ok whatever.  The industry is getting messed up.

The good news is, well I'm still free to explore my options.  So let's see what else comes along.  I'll get over this small bump in the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment