Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Visby, Fårö, Gotland, Skansen, Stockholm, Sweden

Two weekends ago I spent several days in Gotland, the largest island off the coast of Sweden.  We caught the bus to Nynäshamn on the Friday and then the ferry to Visby which is the main town on Gotland.  It's amazingly beautiful and reminds me of the time when I lived in Australia, in particular, Tasmania.  I stayed in the town of Visby where it was medieval week.  Visby has a town wall, plenty of ruins, and is quite historic.  We visited the city museum on Saturday and Sunday me and Kerstin rented a car and drove to the island of Fårö, where we saw lots of rauks.  Which is pretty much rocks, you guessed it.  But yes that's how rauk is spelt in Swedish!  There are also plenty of apple trees here, just like in Oslo.


Almedalen, Visby.

 

Old town walls, Visby.


Old town wall, Visby.


Medieval week, Visby.


Old town, Visby.


Rauks, Fårö, looks like a dog huh?


Rauks, Fårö coastline.


Birds having a rest, Gotland.

Later in the afternoon we went swimming in the blue lagoon.  That was nice but a bit too cold for my liking!  Well at least the water was fresh, clear and very blue.


Blue lagoon, Gotland.

On Monday we met Thelma before we left.  She's still there composing music, I'm envious!  Earlier in the day we went shopping.


Chilling out in Monroe's, Visby.

On the 18th which is a Thursday we went to visit Skansen.  Last year I wanted to visit Skansen during my time in Stockholm but I didn't get the chance to as I ran out of time.  So I thought I would do it this year.  Well, to be honest it was a bit disappointing, not sure if it was the weather or not but there were hardly any people and it was full of old buildings, which are historic and nice but for 180 sek I'm not sure if it's worth the entry.  The zoo is quite cool though, there were bears and a few lynxes.


Old house.


Old church.


Lynx.


Bear cubs.


Welcome to Skansen.


Children's zoo, there were some fake animals here too for some reason.

Next Friday I'll be visiting Singapore again for family reasons.  Most probably I'll be working remotely for some time as well.  Would be very strange to be working in the evenings, I'll see how it goes.

Oh a funny story before I go, in Gotland I randomly met a woman who called me a few months ago, she was interested in renting her apartment to me back then.  She had a son studying in Stockholm and saw my ad on blocket.se and gave me a call.  I later found out she was Malaysian and living in Gotland.  She asked me where I was from (we went to a Chinese restaurant, or rather, stumbled upon it on the way) and I asked her the same.  When she said Malaysian I immediately asked her if she had a son!  And she asked me how I knew.  Amazing coincidence.  Her name was Mrs Fong.  She's the owner of the one Chinese restaurant on Gotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment