Friday, June 28, 2019

Last Friday in 🇸🇪

So it's my last full day in Sweden.  Tomorrow I am leaving for the UAE.

Finally...


And it didn't come soon enough!

Amazingly, I got a job offer in New Zealand as well but I opted for the UAE... for now.

During these 3 years, I can't say I have had the time of my life.  Certainly, it wasn't even as good as I had it in Norway.  My life in general in Norway was better, I spent more time outdoors, less time travelling to work, made a hell lot more money and my social life was better there.  I travelled somewhere every month, even if it was from Norway to Sweden.  Life sure is good as a Norwegian compared to a Swede.  Not that I am complaining, but it is what it is.  I will, however, admit I didn't spend a lot of effort even in trying to make friends here.  But that is because I didn't think I would stay here very long, and I didn't.

I think my biggest issue is that the salaries here are very low.  Terribly low.  It doesn't matter how much you work or how much better you are, you will pretty much make the same as a mediocre person.  And from my experience, there are lots of them here.  It really takes someone extra special to abandon their higher salaries in order to come here.  Yes, you might get "benefits", but those are not worth what you lose in financial terms.  There are also zero bonus programs here, pretty much non-existent.  In Norway, I was getting a 10-20 per cent bonus.

The 8 hour wait at the hospital that I went to for the privilege of hearing a "doctor" say that he did not know how to read an ECG didn't inspire confidence in me with regards to the healthcare, and for this, I had to pay 43 USD.  Are you kidding me?

But saying that, life here is pretty good, you don't do much work.  If you're hardworking or work 9 to 5, and get things done, you'll do very well.

So, what's next?

I can't say I have the greatest confidence in the UAE.  Particularly with human rights, and the amazingly unbearable hot weather.  But I will be in a great role and my salary will be a lot, lot better. I will have to constantly remind myself that I am there for financial reasons and will be constantly saving.  And at the same time try to enjoy myself a bit.  Can't see how long I would stay there, I would assume maybe 6 months?  Let's see.

My new tagline will soon be...

Lived in 4 different countries over a 16 year period.

Can't imagine that is actually me.

No comments:

Post a Comment