Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Happy Easter 2021 🥚

So I discovered it was Easter only a week before it happened.


Happy Easter yay!

Normally during this time I would be flying off somewhere.  God what would I give... to go on a vacation now.  But for obvious reasons this year nothing really eventful happened.  I contemplated catching a train to Örebro which is a small town about 2 hours away from Stockholm, but then I didn't.  They have a nice castle there.... and nothing much else.  Swedes I can find them in Stockholm, don't need to catch a train to find them.  You know I'm digging the bottom of the barrel when I'm talking about travelling in Sweden.  I wished I could even work during Easter, that would be nice.  Well it's back to work tomorrow anyway.  With regards to work, my amazing consulting company is considering selling the existing coffee machine, a Nespresso, because people are leaving.  Instead they bought another machine that cost 1700 USD.  Are you kidding?  They also have these hideous giant sofa chairs that no one sits on, they look gross and ugly.  The company has seriously lost its way.  I'm just dreaming about the borders opening again and then I can get the scoot out of here.  There's 2 others I know who will probably leave when given the chance.

Let's talk about the stock markets... because... this is my blog and I love markets.  For February and March I've been busy writing options.  Crypto was back in the front news of many news media outlets and that rang a large alarm bell in my head.  I've been selling "hopes and dreams" to the crypto lovers in the form of way out-of-the-money calls.  If you believe your crypto stock is gonna double in a week, I would be happy to write that option contract for you my dear gambling friend!  But that has come to an end since volatility is really low now so there goes the rich premiums, it was really good while it lasted.  A week ago I made another really good trade on Baidu when it got sold off by the banks due to a hedge fund collapse (check out "Archegos Capital") because of a margin call.  They turned 10 billion into 50 billion and then all of that was lost overnight.  Oh what would you give for 10 billion eh?  Leverage is gonna kill you when it goes the wrong way.  He could have stopped leveraging up but then he didn't.  Seriously how much do you really need, even 10 billion I can't even think of the ways to spend that amount.  Then again I'm a guy whose life fits in 3 luggage bags literally so I don't need much.  Could always do with new underwear though, we could always do with new underwear.

Anyway, so the last two months have been writing options (thanks to Bitcoin and all you crazy crypto lovers, I'm still not a believer) but I've now I've become long only.  I believe the cubes ("QQQ") will make a new high within the next month or so.  Let's see how that plays out, I'm feeling quite positive about it all.  The VIX is near an all time low which means the market is starting to normalise.  2 years ago I started to unsubscribe to literally *all* of the financial newsletters and I stopped reading a lot of the news.  I've learned it's all bullshit anyway, designed to entertain (or incite fear, lots of fear) but not deliver anything of value to your financial health.  I looked back at my trades in August of 2019 when I started to take all of this more seriously and can't even contemplate how I managed to gain a fifty percent return in several months.  I probably wouldn't place those trades now but there you go, lessons learned.  I'm now in a quite conservative long only position compared to where I was 2 years ago which is where I'm happy to be.

So yeah, it's already April and the year thus far hasn't been much of an event other than the markets, of which I'm an avid participant.  But it's not that exciting really, if you do the right things you're not going to be excited, which is fine by me.

H&M isn't that exciting either.  I've introduced Terraform into the team, and it looks like we're the only team in the *entire* organisation to be testing our infrastructure.  Which is quite scary honestly because it means the other teams are doing this manually or not doing anything whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment