Friday, June 24, 2016

Grand Place, Manneken Pis, Triumphal Arch, Brussels, Belgium, Day 1

On the morning of the 24th June I flew into Brussels, an early morning flight at 7:05am.  Since it was midsummer, the roads were completely deserted.  I caught the T-bana into Stockholm Central only to discover that the central terminal was closed so I couldn't catch the flybussarna which is the private airport bus, and had to catch the exorbitant Arlanda Express instead which is twice as expensive.  But I paid for it anyway since I had no choice.

I walked a record 24 km today, first getting a sim card for my GPS needs then going to the Sandermans new brussels tour.  Later in the evening I met a friend who I met last year in Berlin during Xmas.  I had dinner with him and two of his friends, then later we sat in front of the Triumphal Arch, had something to drink and then went to another bar, sat down a bit more then I went back to the hotel after that.

I always thought they spoke German in Brussels but I was so very wrong.  They speak mostly French here.  They also have an astounding 1500+ different beers.  The most famous ones are the trappist beers.


Grand Palace, huge square with lots of people (omitted on purpose).



At Saint-Josse-ten-Noode, where I had a quick lunch.


At the Belgian Chamber of Representatives.


Did you know Belgium is home to Tintin and the Smurfs?


Manneken Pis, this little fella has his own wardrobe, apparently more than 800 costumes and his own tailor.


Artsy buildings galore.


Les Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert, home to many expensive boutique shops.  Including a chocolate shop which I really like called Neuhaus.


Do you like butts and cannot lie?


The infamous waffle!


Triumphal Arch.


Pretending to be alchoholics.


No comments:

Post a Comment