Monday, June 6, 2016

Tower Bridge, Greenwich, London Zoo, Natural History Museum, London, England

The highlight of my 4th week in Sweden was spent in London.  I spent 3 nights there, 3rd June until the night of the 6th of June.  Monday the 6th of June was Sweden's public holiday and I didn't know what to do so I thought I would fly to London.  All of this was very last minute.

Summary

Day 1 - 3rd June evening
I flew into Gatwick after work, my flight being delayed by an hour.  After catching the Gatwick Express to Victoria I discovered the underground had stopped working since it was already past midnight.  Thereafter I spent about 30 minutes getting lost trying to find the bus from Victoria to Paddington, not helped by the fact that one of the staff working there gave me incorrect directions!  But I made it eventually where I would stay at the Chrysos hotel in Paddington, it was ridiculously expensive for what it was, but at least I had a place to stay considering all of this was pretty last minute.  

Day 2 - 4th June
After breakfast I went to the nearby Three shop where I bought a sim card for my phone.  Then I caught the underground to London Bridge Underground and walked to the Tower Bridge where I spent a few hours.  At 2ish I was done and walked around a bit.  Had some pumpkin soup with potatoes then I caught the overground to Greenwich around 3ish.  When I arrived the observatory was already closed, but there was a free area where you can take a photo of the Prime Meridian Line where the longitude is 0 degrees.  Basically you're in the middle of two halves of Earth.

After greenwich I caught the underground back to the hotel, rested a bit and then had dinner at a nearby Italian place and then went to Whiteley's to watch "Me Before You".  Honestly I had no idea what the movie was about, I simply looked at imdb's rating and saw that it was well over 7.0 and so with 15 minutes to go before the movie started I bought the ticket and watched it.

I arrived back into the hotel probably around 12ish or so.  I messaged my friend Kat and we decided to meet at St John's Wood (I know, what a name)  around 10:00 the following day.


Giant chess set in Paddington.


Tower Bridge.


Inside Tower Bridge, transparent floors, cool!


View from Tower Bridge.


Steam engines that power the bridge.


Walking along Shad Thames. 


View at Greenwich Observatory.


At the Prime Meridian line!


The movie I watched.

Day 3 - 5th June
After breakfast I met my friend Kat at St John's Wood and then we went to the zoo.  Around 5pm or so we exited the zoo and then sat on the benches and had a chat.  Then we had dinner at Wagamama.  The last time I had Wagamama was in Amsterdam where me and Sasha suffered pretty bad food poisoning.  Thankfully this did not happen this time!

After dinner we went to the nearby London eye where there was an arcade.  Kat tried to catch a toy from one of those claw machines but failed.  We played some arcade games and of course my favourite air hockey.  I was beaten soundly in 3 games but I won the 4th game.  I've never lost in air hockey in 3 games!  So it was quite the humbling, but I blame my deathly sore throat from karaoke.

I walked her back to the apartment after that then I caught the underground back to Paddington and back to the hotel.


Coral, London zoo.


Scary fish, London zoo.


Bird, London zoo.


Gorilla, London zoo.


Ants, London zoo.


Spider, London zoo.


Butterfly, London zoo.


Penguin, London zoo.


Big ben clock tower, London.

Day 4 - 6th June
Woke up and went to the Natural History Museum, I spent a couple of hours there, and mainly looked at dinosaurs and other treasures like the first dinosaur teeth and discoveries like that.  The museum is massive so you can easily spend a day there but I didn't have the entire day.  Around 2pm or so I walked back to the hotel to pick up my stuff then met up with Kat again to say goodbye, then went and caught the Gatwick Express to the airport and then caught the flight back to Stockholm.  Funnily enough I went to the wrong gate at first which was for Oslo.  I guess my mind is still adjusted to being in Norway.  Opps.  I arrived back into Stockholm city after midnight.  There were no busses so I had to catch a cab back to my apartment hotel in Solna. The taxi driver was actually quite friendly, which isn't typical Swedish behaviour and he is Swedish!  I didn't get back into the hotel until after 1am.


Natural history museum.


Natural history museum.


Natural history museum.


First iguanodon teeth discovered, sparking the discovery of dinosaurs.


Natural history museum.


Italian gardens next to Kensington gardens.

Thanks to Kat of London for spending a day and a bit with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment